Indio Theft Crimes Defense Attorney
Dedicated Palm Desert Legal Defense Team Fighting for Your Rights
At the Law Offices of Anastacio De La Cruz, we provide aggressive representation for those facing theft-related charges. Our attorney is dedicated to helping individuals through criminal matters, and we will work toward obtaining a favorable outcome in your case.
What are the Theft Laws in Indio?
Under California law, theft is the unlawful and intentional taking of another's property. Intent plays a vital role as to whether taking someone's property is actually theft. The alleged offender must have intended to permanently deprive the owner of their property.
Common Types of Theft in CA
Various types of conduct are considered theft crimes. Among the most common theft-related offenses are:
- Receiving stolen property
- Identity theft
Additional acts of theft in California include:
- Failure to return leased or rented property
- Falsification of information related to the sale of items to a pawnbroker
- Failure to return library resources
- Fraudulent actions to obtain credit
- Sale or unlawful transfer of a credit or debit card
- Misappropriation of property that was entrusted to the care of another
- Unauthorized use of another's credit cards or banking information to acquire property or services
Classification & Penalization of Theft Offenses
In California, theft crimes are classified according to how much the stolen property is worth. The value is based on the reasonable and fair market price of the goods or services.
- Property is valued at $950 or more, it is a felony offense punishable by up to 3 years in prison
- When a person goes into a store and intends to steal less than $950 worth of merchandise, it is charged as a misdemeanor, which is punishable by up to 1 year in jail
- When the property is valued at less than $950, it is charged as a misdemeanor, which carries a maximum sentence of 6 months in jail and/or a fine of $1,000
Petty theft with a prior conviction:
- Committing petty theft with a previous theft conviction can result in up to 364 days in jail when charged as a misdemeanor, and a maximum 3 years in prison when charged as a felony
If you have been charged for a theft crime, you need a knowledgeable criminal defense attorney on your side. For the personalized representation that you deserve, turn to the Law Offices of Anastacio De La Cruz. We take a real interest in our clients' cases. When you rely on our Indio theft crimes lawyer, you can have peace of mind knowing that your case is being handled effectively.
“His staff is very helpful and always willing to help, and they are bilingual”- Carmen Tamayo
“I am extremely grateful to the entire office staff for their exceptional representation”- Rosanna Lopez
“Mr Anastacio De La Cruz has been nothing but a blessing for my family”- Esmeralda Q-Shayne